My roommate and friend Logan and I discovered that we both LOVE going to shows! And DC has several venues. The Kennedy Center, Ford's Theatre (where President Lincoln was shot), National Theatre, and Warner Theatre are the most frequented, but there are other smaller locales that I discover all the time.
| Huge statue of JFK's head inside the Kennedy Center |
This week I had the privilege of attending the Broadway tour of "South Pacific" at the Kennedy Center. Logan and I purchased our tickets for the January 5th show over Christmas vacation. Well, come January 5, I come home from work, eat a quick dinner, and learn that our friend Jordan also has tickets to the show that night to see it with his family. Since he was also coming east into the city from working in Virginia, he stopped by our house, and the three of us got to ride together to the show.
"South Pacific" is a classic Rogers and Hammerstein love story that clearly echoed the themes and tones of other R&H plays, such as "The King and I," "Sound of Music," and "Cinderella." The story is set on an island in the Pacific during WWII. It hinges upon the back-and-forth between an expatriot frenchman living on the island named Emilie de Becque and a nurse in the U.S. military named Nellie, a fitful girl from Little Rock with a trademark southern drawl. The lead actors were phenomenal. De Becque is played by David Pittsinger, a classically-trained vocalist with resounding baritone. Nellie is played by Carmen Cusack, a British actress who recently has been on Broadway as Elpheba in "Wicked."
![]() |
| Pittsinger in "South Pacific" |
4 out of 5 stars. I look forward to my next show.

I have more pictures of Logan, Jordan, and I and will post them soon!
ReplyDeleteLIked your review of South Pacific. Still sounds magical to go to the Kennedy Center in DC to see great talent perform. love ya
ReplyDeleteIt was great! Hey, I just ran across your blog http://cathyburleson.blogspot.com/ . Didn't realize you created one at one point, you should keep it up! love you
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that you are taking advantage of all that DC has to offer. And your small group sounds wonderful too. You are a deep thinker and clearly trying to please God. I am glad that Lindsay is your friend! You both are shining stars in the next generation.
ReplyDelete